Dan Diehl, Paul O’Malley & Lou Ronsivalli.
Cloud Adoption Driven by Need for Better Business Insights24 October 2018 / by Morphean SA (author) / Fribourg
Key survey findings include:
• 89% of businesses surveyed are using cloud-based software solutions, with 81% having set a cloud strategy for the year ahead
• Over a quarter (27%) of cloud users report the principal reason for moving services to the cloud was that it is safer/offers better security options (ahead of cost-effectiveness and ability to collaborate)
• On average, 33% of IT budgets have been spent on cloud services in the past 24 months; 78% expect their cloud spend to increase within the next two years
• Respondents estimate that, on average, 47% of their internal data will be cloud processed in the next two to five years
• 89% of respondents would possibly or definitely move physical security technology such as video surveillance and access control to the cloud
• 92% feel it’s important or very important that their physical security solutions meet their overall business objectives
• 25% have had a data breach in the past 24 months
• Of the 11% of respondents that would not consider using the cloud for physical security, 64% advised this was due to cybersecurity concerns
The Morphean ‘Physical security and the cloud’ White paper can be found at: https://morphean.com/whitepaper/
Residual reluctance to shift to widespread adoption of cloud in the face of growing cyber threats appears to be waning. Paradoxically, it would seem that the rise in cyber threats has led to a consensus that cloud is more agile and better prepared to face the threat of cyber attack versus an on premise solution. Over a quarter (27%) reported the principal reason for moving services to the cloud was that it is safer/offers better security options - ahead of cost-effectiveness and the ability to collaborate - while 25% have experienced a data breach in the past 24 months.
As end-users continue to see the benefits of cloud solutions, adoption is forecast to rise. On average, 33% of IT budgets were spent on cloud services in the past 24 months; 78% of respondents expect their cloud spend to increase within the next two years and estimate that, on average, 47% of their internal data will be cloud processed in the next two to five years. Some of this growth is expected to be in systems that are not typically associated with cloud, such as video surveillance and access control.
Rodrigue Zbinden, CEO at Morphean, states, “This study of our market across Europe underpins what we already knew from conversations on the ground but lacked the statistical evidence to prove. Fears of cyber-attack have hindered enterprise adoption of cloud in certain industries, such as the physical security sector. The attitude that ‘if we don’t own it, we can’t control it’ has perhaps persisted until now. But with more and more businesses migrating their legacy systems to proven cloud platforms for email, CRM, ERP and HR, we know that security will be the next big area of growth for a number of sound reasons.
“We now face an unpredictable future. Businesses are realising that not only is cloud technology more secure, more agile and more cost-effective than its on-premise alternative when deployed correctly by a proven partner, but the business intelligence benefits that it provides far outweigh the risks. The increasing integration of devices across a network, enabled by IoT, is helping businesses overcome new challenges by making use of the increased amount of data hosted in the cloud and analysed by machines using artificial intelligence. For example, in retail, Morphean’s cloud-based VSaaS platform where IP cameras are designed for stock monitoring can also alert managers when queues begin to develop at checkouts. The onus is now on system integrators and installers to understand the cloud platforms available to them and help end customers reap the benefits on offer.”
The Morphean ‘Physical security and the cloud’ White paper can be downloaded from: https://morphean.com/whitepaper/
Catering for Lifelong Learning / Facilities ManagementWhite Papers & BriefingsTraining & EducationAmericas1 day ago
Copyright © 2004-2019 Integrated Identity Limited | All rights reserved