Supporting Community Nutrition During Covid-19
A video series from the "Healthy for Life" collaboration between the American Heart Association (AHA) and Aramark is making critical nutrition advice available to families impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Released in response to limitations faced by the Healthy for Life program in providing in-person contact to families in underserved communities - as well as the significant rise in the number of American households cooking at home during the pandemic, the videos are being shown on the AMA's Health Living Facebook page.
The first two titles in the series will be available this month, with the remainder to be added to the AMA Facebook page in November and December 2020.
Full list of titles
- Be a Sharper Chef: Gain important knife skills for everyday meal prep and learn about the nutrition benefits of fruits and vegetables while preparing this Chopped Colorful Veggie Salad.
- World of Spices: Learn how to use spices to enhance flavor in dishes and reduce sodium as part of an overall heart-healthy eating pattern.
- Pantry Makeover: Review how to stock a pantry with affordable, healthy items and make a quick delicious salad.
- Healthy Ingredient Swap: Identify and choose healthy ingredient and snack substitutions to reduce saturated fat, calories, sodium and added sugar. Prepare a Creamy Spinach Feta Dip.
- Double Duty Meals: Cook once, eat twice by learning about double-duty ingredients that make meal prep easier.
- Meal Planning for Busy Families: Learn a crowd-pleasing family recipe and tips for shopping for healthy ingredients at the grocery store.
The AMA's chief medical officer for provention, ExpEduardo Sanchez, M.D., M.P.H., FAAFP, comments: "Pandemic or not, learning how to access, choose and prepare healthy foods is crucial for individuals and families to get healthy and stay healthy."
Aramark's Health and Wellness lead, Dan Wainfan, adds: "For the past five years, Aramark and the American Heart Association have created nutrition and cooking education experiences designed to help families in underserved communities learn how to access, choose and prepare the healthy food they need.
"Now that those education experiences can’t happen in person, we’re offering an innovative way for those community members to continue their health and wellness journeys while they are home."
The Healthy for Life community nutrition program is part of the wider Healthy for Life Initiative - a multi-year collaboration established in 2015 by the AMA and Aramark to improve the health of all Americans by encouraging better nutrition and lifestyle habits.
Visit heart.org/healthyforlife for additional information or consult the following resources if your community or family has been impacted by Covid-19:
- Articles on nutrition, exercise and wellness from the American Heart Association: www.heart.org/healthyforgood
- More about the impact of the Healthy for Life initiative: www.aramark.com/healthyforlife
- Tips from Aramark chefs and registered dietitians: www.FYP365.com