Response to UK Building Control Recommendations
The Association for Project Safety (APS) is supporting recommendations from the construction sector’s Future of Building Control Working Group in a report published ahead of tomorrow’s expected proposals from the UK government for building safer buildings.
Lesley McLeod, Chief Executive, the Association for Project Safety, the leading UK professional organisation for construction health and safety, says:
“Construction needs to have the people with the skills, knowledge and experience to build safely and well. This will make the construction process safer and the final buildings better for those who live and work in them. Robust building control is vital, but safety must start at pre-planning stage where problems can be solved before they start.
“We fully supports developing the whole construction workforce, so the right people are working in the right ways on the right projects. The association is already working on a capability framework to ensure its members can play their full part in making construction safer, healthier and better for everyone.”
The group’s key recommendations set out in the report issues eleven recommendations, but the Group highlights the following five:
- Steps to simplify and unify building control legislation, process and procedures
- An independent designated body to oversee professional registration and organisational audit
- Introduction of a new competence framework to cover all persons working in building control including those working on higher risk buildings in scope of the new regulator
- A unified pan-industry Code of conduct for all Building Control Bodies and professionals
- A unified pan-industry career structure to set clear expectations of competence across the building control sector.
About The Future of Building Control Working Group
The Future of Building Control Working Group is made up of:
- Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors (ACAI)
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
- Construction Industry Council (CIC)
- Construction Industry Council Approved Inspectors Register (CICAIR)
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
- National House Building Council (NHBC)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)