Security & Safety Things App Development Challenge (26 April Deadline)
Security and Safety Things GmbH has launched its second App Challenge inviting developers of video analytic applications to create solutions for specific-use cases in retail, transportation, smart cities, healthcare, entertainment and the stadiums sector.
Apps will be designed to run on smart cameras using the Security & Safety Things open camera operating system and S&ST open IoT platform, which enables cameras to run a variety of applications simultaneously to perform different functions. The camera OS is based on the developer-friendly Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
For this year’s challenge, a variety of systems integrators responded to an S&ST survey asking for customer needs and challenges in the four vertical market categories. Based on this feedback, developers will be tasked with creating innovative video analytic applications to address a host of different use cases, including:
· Unmanned aerial detection for drones and other flying objects in stadiums, or during large events
· Suspicious behavior analytics for the detection of fighting or stealing
· Customer conversion and “out of stock” analytics in retails spaces
· Cargo protection for the detection of vandalism and theft in parking lots and other facilities
· Hygiene and PPE checks in healthcare facilities, as well as anomaly detection for unusual behavior in elder-care facilities
Three winners will be chosen by a jury of 20 prominent integrators and will be awarded individual prizes of 10,000€ each. Winners will also be invited to showcase their solution at the Security & Safety Things (S&ST) booth at an upcoming event, including escon 2021, depending on the COVID-19 situation. All participating developers will be able to benefit from various co-marketing opportunities with Security & Safety Things throughout the duration of the challenge.
The winning apps from the 2020 App Challenge provided solutions for retail and commercial buildings, transportation and smart city, and manufacturing and logistics categories. Overall, the challenge resulted in 20+ new applications being added to the Security & Safety Things Application Store.
Adam Wynne, head of the Security & Safety Things Innovation Accelerator which is based in Pittsburgh, comments: “While many vertical markets share a core set of operational needs, individual organizations also have unique requirements based on the nuances of their location, customer base or other circumstances.
“We are calling on the collective creativity and unique perspectives of the developer community to help solve distinct customer challenges, whether that’s a standalone solution or one based on a combination of different applications.”
How it works:
· Developers can submit multiple proposals for more than one vertical by 26th April.
· Proposals will be reviewed and the most promising will be chosen by the Jury to proceed with development. Developers will have from 29th April to 31st July to create their solution(s).
· Once developed, the app will need to be uploaded to the Application Store by 31st July. S&ST and the jury will test and review the apps.
· Winners will be chosen by the end of August.
Developers can apply by submitting their proposals by 26th April on: https://info.securityandsafetythings.com/app-challenge.