A new report from Cushman & Wakefield considers the impact of the Delta variant and other factors on global return-to-office planning, and makes new forecasts based on declining Covid-19 cases and progress towards achieving herd resiliency through adequate vaccination rates.
Many companies had been planning on a broad return to the office this summer and fall before the rise of the Delta variant. The increases in cases in many parts of the world have caused a significant, if temporary, postponement of those plans, as occupiers await
With vaccine rates continuing to climb, and the Delta variant expected to peak in October 2021, the company believes investors, occupiers and governments need to take stock of global and regional trends relating to the return of employees to the office, including:
- Current levels of office usage
- The trajectory of the virus and vaccination efforts; and
- Forecast scenarios for when businesses may return to office
Its lates of a series of three Return to Office reports looks at at the progress that is being made across Asia Pacific, Canada, Europe and the United States, and provides a valuable outlook as businesses prepare their return to office strategies.
Key Report Findings:
- As of September 2021, approximately 40% of all global office workers have returned to the office
- The latest COVID-19 projections indicate that global infections related to the Delta variant will peak in October or November 2021 and then trend lower
- At the current rate, most of the world will achieve herd resiliency—i.e., over 70% either vaccinated or infected—by Q2 2022
- Given the impact on working parents, full-time, in-person school is a critical factor for predicting a fuller return to the office
- Government guidelines will also play a critical role in boosting worker confidence and encouraging a return to the office
- If our assumptions hold true, we conclude that most office workers globally will be able to return to the office in the first quarter of 2022
Visit https://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/insights/Predicting-the-Return-to-the-Office to download your copy.