ESS, DIO Scoop Collaborative Working Award
Compass Group business ESS Defence and the UK’s Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) have won the Institute for Collaborative Working Service Sector Award.
The award recognises teams that excel in improving service delivery through a collaborative approach. It marks the successful relationship between ESS and DIO in the delivery of three large Defence Soft FM contracts in the East, South West and Wales & West Midlands. The contracts, awarded under the MOD’s Hestia programme, cover 240 military establishments and 100+ services, ranging from catering, retail and leisure through to waste, cleaning and laundry. The objective for both organisations is to enhance the lived experience for service personnel in the sites where they live and work.
The Hestia programme brings together multiple ESS, DIO and military stakeholders. A structured approach to collaboration at the highest level has enabled ESS and DIO to develop and instil shared objectives, ways of working and behaviours that filter through the contracts.
Both organisations have achieved ISO 44001 certification for the relationship which is managed by a joint ESS and DIO partnering board. The systems and processes required by the standard facilitate a consistent approach which is key to successful collaboration.
Benefits delivered through the relationship include:
- Ensuring colleague and customer safety through the joint development of safe operating procedures during COVID-19
- Enhancing the lived experience through investment in food service and retail facilities, including the first fully self-service convenience store on the UK Defence estate
- Embracing digitalisation to improve access to services through implementation of the ESS App designed specifically for Defence and Government customers
- Focusing on sustainability across all service streams, including increasing plant-forward meal options, introducing chemical free cleaning, eliminating the top ten single use plastic products, delivering zero waste to landfill from contract start and consistently improving recycling rates
- Supporting personal wellbeing through a detailed wellness programme designed for ESS, DIO and military colleagues.
Mark Webster, Managing Director – ESS Defence, Energy and Government Services, comments: “We are delighted that our relationship with DIO has been recognised by the Institute for Collaborative Working. Both organisations are committed to working closely together for the benefit of service personnel and we have put structures in place to drive effective collaboration at all levels, from our senior leadership teams to our frontline colleagues. The partnership has delivered great things during the first four years of the Hestia programme and there is much more to come.”
Richard McKinney, Regional Delivery Director – DIO, adds: “Recognition by the Institute for Collaborative Working is a great achievement. We are committed to working together and collaborating; which means that we solve problems quicker, we learn from each other, and ultimately our customers get better outcomes.”