Green Apple for ABM and Victoria Leeds
ABM has been recognised with a Green Apple Environmental Award for the fourth time at a ceremony in Miami where its collaboration with UK retail destination Victoria Leeds Shopping Centre won a Bronze Award.
In the international campaign to find the greenest companies, municipal autorities and communities, ABM continues to impress judges with the passion and purpose with which the team’s ambitions are implemented. This year’s win builds on the team’s Green Apple award in 2019, a silver award in 2021 and gold in 2022.
The focus of the latest win is the site’s focus on using natural resources within the shopping centre efficiently, conserving the landscape and contributing to the local economy.
Standout results include:
- Solar panel installation has resulted in 210,493kwh being generated, saving 34.9tonnes of emissions and offsetting the same amount of CO2 as planting 462 trees.
- A waste coffee grounds initiative has diverted over 21 tonnes of grounds away from waste streams by utilising it across external planting areas as soil enricher. This has also now been adopted across the portfolio at other sites.
- The introduction of Re-Food bins has saved just over £7,000 on operating costs per annum and all food waste on site is 100% recycled.
- A partnership with First Forge recycling to reduce the number of collections lowered the site’s carbon footprint and costs simultaneously. Through several of Forge’s Carbon Offsetting Schemes, the site’s collections are now carbon neutral.
- Victoria Quarter has been transformed from 50% fake plants on display to 100% real plants. The same process is under way at Victoria Gate, which will be finished by the end of July. A local flower stall in Leeds market (Brian’s Flowers) has been appointed to the project as part of the focus on the local economy.
- A bespoke bug hotel takes pride of place on site to increase biodiversity.
- A partnership with a local employment charity has also been a huge success. A gentleman who was homeless and unemployed for the majority of his adult life joined the team in 2019 and he remains a valuable part of the team today.
The Green Apple Awards aim to improve environmental performance, encourage the efficient use of resources and support the wider goals of sustainable development, including social benefits through community and staff involvement.
We’re extremely proud of the ABM and Victoria Leeds team for all they are doing, especially as the cost of living and environmental emergency gains pace globally.
Craig Brady, Environmental Services Manager for ABM UK, says: “It’s wonderful to receive recognition again this year. What started as a focus on energy usage has grown into a culture of doing better both environmentally and socially. The excitement of creating change is palpable amongst the team, making Victoria Leeds a fantastic place to be. We’re extremely proud of the ABM and Victoria Leeds team for all they are doing, especially as the cost of living and environmental emergency gains pace globally.”
Jo Coburn, Senior General Manager at Victoria Leeds, says: “Our commitment to the environment is unwavering – we are always seeking news ways to help protect our planet and the whole team is behind our efforts. We have made great strides forward in this area in recent years and I couldn’t be more proud of the front line team that implements our fantastic work and initiatives.”
The Green Apple Awards are run by The Green Organisation – an independent, non-political, non-activist, non-profit environment group dedicated to recognising, rewarding and promoting environmental best practice around the world.
ABM’s commitment to sustainability and the UK Net Zero challenge is growing every day. The business continues to raise the standard internally, while simultaneously enabling customers to meet Net Zero goals too. Having designed an innovative sustainable solutions portfolio covering the installation of energy efficiency retrofits and EV charging points, elimination of waste to landfills, and our ABM Greencare® cleaning programme, ABM is committed to collaborating with customer to make a difference.
ABM also adds social value through community-based volunteering and charity, training, and development activities promoting diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplaces and spaces.
Join our Newsletter
Keep up-to-date with the latest opportunities, industry and regulatory news, business events, and announcements from our partners.