Launch of ‘Hospitality Superheroes’ Mentoring Programme
With Hospitality Apprenticeship Week underway in the United Kingdom, Umbrella Training has introduced the ‘Hospitality Superheroes’ mentoring programme to inspire and support apprentices in the sector.
The programme is being supported by fifteen high-profile people from the hospitality industry who will mentor Umbrella Apprentices working in restaurants, hotels and foodservices businesses, and include Brian Turner CBE, Sara Jayne Stanes OBE, Cyrus Todiwala OBE DL, Harry Murray MBE FIH and Catey winner, Sally Beck FIH.
Hospitality Apprenticeship Week which ends on Friday aims to celebrate apprenticeships in the sector and bring the hospitality community together to showcase the positive differences they can make to individuals, to their employers and to the wider economy.
The industry offers some of the most exciting, diverse and rewarding careers in the UK. It is the third largest sector, employing more than 3.2 million people across every community and it continues to grow.
With forecasts identifying the need for an additional one million employees over the next two years, the sector needs to consider how these new recruits will be sourced.
In addition, with the government's launch of its first tourism sector deal, the UK is preparing for an expected increase of nine million visitors per year. Part of the deal will support the creation of an additional 10,000 apprenticeships for people building careers in the tourism and hospitality sectors.
Umbrella Training, which has been providing meaningful apprenticeship programmes since 2012, has matched mentees to mentors, based on their roles and apprenticeship standard.
The programme will include one-to-one discussions, webinars, presentations and talks at events for apprentices. As part of the programme, mentors and mentees will be invited to a special launch event being held at Firmdale’s Haymarket Hotel in London on 17 September.
Adele Oxberry FIH, founder and CEO, Umbrella Training, says:
"As the saying goes, not all superheroes wear capes. They may wear chef’s whites, housekeeping aprons, and even business suits. We are delighted to bring together some of the industry’s most successful and inspirational leaders alongside some of the stars of the future.
"Mentoring is such an important part of any individual’s development and its vital that we work with young people to support them as they move their way through their careers.
"To reinforce the recent government tourism deal, we will do what we can to promote the industry. By using the career stories of our mentors, we will help to inspire the next generation of Superheroes."
Peter Ducker FIH, CEO at the Institute of Hospitality - who has previously described mentoring as one of the greatest 'gifts' anyone can receive, adds:
"The lucky mentees in the umbrella scheme will benefit from decades of experience freely drawn upon by seasoned Industry professionals. Mentoring sends a strong message - we welcome you into hospitality want to help you succeed in your career."
The full list of 'Superheroes'
- Harry Murray MBE MI FIH, Chairman, Lucknam Park Hotel
- Brian Turner CBE
- Mark Sargeant, Michelin starred chef
- Cyrus Todiwala OBE DL, chef patron, Cafe Spice Namaste
- Chantelle Nicholson, Chef Patron, Tredwells London
- Sally Beck MI FIH, General Manager, Royal Lancaster London
- Joanne Taylor Stagg MI FIH, General Manager, The Athenaeum
- Ben Purton FIH, Chef Consultant
- Robert Richardson FIH, General Manager, The Grand Folkestone
- Sara Edwards, Group HR Director, AB Hotels
- Liz McGivern, Vice President People & Culture, Red Carnation Hotels
- Sara Jayne Stanes, CEO, Royal Academy it Culinary Arts and founder of the Academy of Chocolate
- Adele Oxberry FIH, CEO and Founder, Umbrella Training Ltd
- Sam Coulstock FIH, Business Relations Director, Umbrella Training Ltd
- Holly Langan, Hospitality Team Member Apprentice Alumni & Winner of Purple Umbrella Award 2019, The Ritz London.
View career timelines at https://www.umbrellatraining.co.uk/latest-news/hospitality-superheroes/.